Being self-taught vs. academic study - which one is best and why?

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
I studied computer science academically and think upped by programming game a lot by being surrounded by it every day and getting to try so many different languages and frameworks, but I also agree with self-taught developers saying that they've been able to get a lot of practical experience without needing college. What do you think??

letschat6

Associate Member
Reaction score
I personally tried to learn code on my own and got way too overwhelmed. That's not to say nobody is capable of self-learning. In my particular case, however, the structure of college is what I need.

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah self-learning coding is tough because of there being such an information overload without someone giving you a plan of attack! I found exactly the same thing with math - If I had've tried to learn calc and algebra without uni I would have been totally lost.

letschat6

Associate Member
Reaction score
Yeah self-learning coding is tough because of there being such an information overload without someone giving you a plan of attack! I found exactly the same thing with math - If I had've tried to learn calc and algebra without uni I would have been totally lost.
I'm currently taking a calculus class and I agree with you there! I'm barely grasping it as it is 😂

Reactions: lucky_bobo

IGMontero

Neophyte
Reaction score
I totally agree with this! Nowadays is very, very easy to get burned out pretty quickly due to the information overload.

I personally learned to code by following courses and using sites like freecodecamp.org.
Got some practical experience by trying to build stuff and complete challenges that this site proposed, and after ~4 months, I managed to land a job as a web developer. Learned a lot there also, and after other 4 months, went to full-time freelancing.
Also, quit college in 3rd year, because I was not feeling that it was helpful for me.

Going back to the topic, IMO college education didn't help much in my programming learning..
But it's also true that my thought process is very different than if I wouldn't have studied CS, so I cannot say that it's completely useless..

And last but not least, college doesn't teach you to learn to teach yourself, and nowadays that is very valuable, IMO.

Reactions: letschat6

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a calculus class and I agree with you there! I'm barely grasping it as it is 😂
Calculus is the devil :devilish: . Linear algebra is 400,000,000,000 times easier imo

I personally learned to code by following courses and using sites like freecodecamp.org.
Freecodecamp is a good site to learn with. I used treehouse for a bit and it helped, but a lot of moocs can be really sluggish when you first start out I think.

after ~4 months, I managed to land a job as a web developer. Learned a lot there also, and after other 4 months, went to full-time freelancing.
Nice jump in 8 months from nothing to web dev freelancing! At least html and css is easy to pick up, php's not bad and js can be a nightmare in the beginning - but it helps that you can easily apply any new knowledge you get fast with web dev.

IMO college education didn't help much in my programming learning..
But it's also true that my thought process is very different than if I wouldn't have studied CS
Yeah it was a big boost for me, but mainly because of the variety of different frameworks we were being exposed to. Yeah I mean if I could have had the self-discipline to teach myself properly without needing uni then that would be easier for sure. Tbh I envy anyone who is fully self-trained!

IGMontero

Neophyte
Reaction score
Nice jump in 8 months from nothing to web dev freelancing! At least html and css is easy to pick up, php's not bad and js can be a nightmare in the beginning - but it helps that you can easily apply any new knowledge you get fast with web dev.
Yeah! I learned a TON in my job. After work, I used to code stuff and obsessively study the codebase of the giant web app we were building. It was very, VERY stressful and hard to digest, you don't even imagine hahaha, but I had the clear vision that I wanted to be able to do that myself.
Moral of the story: hard work pays off :p.

BTW, nice forum!