What's the next big thing on the horizon for Virtual Reality?

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
What's the next game-changing development which will transform the way we use VR?

Baur

Neophyte
Reaction score
Website
jeremiasbaur.com
Currently, there are system like the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, which provide 6DOF tracking (6 degrees of freedom). Those systems are great but one drawback is that they need to be attached to a powerful PC and you need to set up tracking sensors in your room. Then there is still the price point.

This is a big limitation so manufacturers like HTC and Oculus are working on solutions which don't need sensors and an extern computer anymore. Oculus Quest is a promising new headset which offers tracking of your movement and controllers without any extern sensors. Everything is calculated and tracked in your headset so you don't need a PC and sensors in your room. This enables brand new experiences because the user isn't limited to a small movement space.

I think that this system will bring a lot of new users to VR because it will be very easy to experience it. The system can be used everywhere and there is no setup time. You just put the headset on and your in the Metaverse ;) I hope that the price is also competitive.

Oculus Quest is expected to be released in summer 2019.

Many VR developers are working on VR experiences for this Oculus Quest, so there will be also a lot of content for it.
I am really looking forward to this headset!

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
"Those systems are great but one drawback is that they need to be attached to a powerful PC and you need to set up tracking sensors in your room. Then there is still the price point."

The price of using VR right now for sure seems like it can be a bit prohibitive for some ppl. What do you think is the cheapest/minimal PC setup you could get away with having which would be powerful enough?

"Many VR developers are working on VR experiences for this Oculus Quest, so there will be also a lot of content for it.
I am really looking forward to this headset!"

Looks like a lot of hype around Oculus Quest so far. Awesome review from Mashable:

Stolarz

Freshman
Reaction score
Valve's Knuckles, their new controllers for VR, seem to be the new norm for interaction. They have 5-finger tracking, along with full wrist rotation, pressure sensitivity, triggers, and buttons (to name a few features) that are very natural and even instinctual to use. These types of advancements are only going to increase year to year because of the numerous limitations that are lifted with each innovation (think about the two heavy wands that come with the Vive).

The next steps, apart from hand-specific devices, will be naturalizing movement in a VR environment. There are many prototypes with things ranging from escalator-type monstrosities to large trackpads that require special shoes in order to prevent friction while moving. These innovation attempts are nice for the moment, but an extreme upgrade will be necessary before large studios that produce games/applications will find them useful and provide content for it all.

Reactions: letschat6

letschat6

Associate Member
Reaction score
I think full body tracking is the next big thing. I understand there are third party solutions for this in existence right now, but I'd like to see companies releasing headsets with this feature from the get go.

Also, no wires is a huge deal. I'm not interested in the Oculus Quest due to its limitations. However, I believe it has definitely paved the way for PCVR to go wireless!