Who's learning Python?

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
From speaking with everyone, quite a few guys seem to be coming from a non-programmer background and aiming to learn Python to start being able to build some bots. If you're learning Python at the moment, we'll use this thread to connect you guys together so that you can bounce questions off each other and off anyone else that can give some advice.

Picking up Python's going to be a lot easier for you guys if it's done semi-collaboratively, so use this thread to start reaching out to other guys learning and I'll try to add some good learning resources here as well. * cough * project euler

Cheers Guys

ntshsnow

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm Saf. I do econs, stats and math and currently in uni.
Don't know much programming apart from really procedural R that I use for stats. Been trying to learn Python on Solo Learn, a nice place to get started as they split it into modules each with a comments section where everyone tries to help out anyone that's confused as well. I also help my university's trading and investments society where I got introduced to Quantopian from the people in the trading team.
Don't know if any of you guys use those resources?
Anyway, real cool to meet everyone and excited to help each other out. Definitely agree that doing this semi-collaboratively will be more meaningful.

Reactions: Entelechy

Paolof89

Neophyte
Reaction score
I use python in my day job in the last 3 years, I'll watching this thread to help the learners in case of specific questions

cryptojesus

Neophyte
Reaction score
a word of advice on pandas, numpy and other data manipulation frameworks: if you're just starting with Python, I would recommend avoiding the frameworks and writing your loops from scratch. Do it once, then learn the frameworks and never do it again. This way you'll have a better appreciation of what they do for you

satō

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to share my two satoshis on what helped me learn python rather quickly (improving and mastering takes a lifetime):
  1. For “semantics” (learning how to read the language and apply its basics) I used the SoloLearn app, Python course - great course to follow along in mobile. Comment section is great to clear some doubts and you also have a challenge mode where you go against other users and answer some python questions in a gamified way. DataCamp (app and desktop) also have some great resources for beginners in the data manipulation area of things
  2. For getting the hands dirty - Sentdex YouTube channel has a lot of great quality materials - I would go through several tutorials and rewriting the code myself and fiddling with some parameters.
Learning semantics by day (substituting my time in social media apps and other mind numbing activities for bite sized lessons on the app) and engaging into tutorials by night was a sure way of getting to learn the language rather quick.

But I think the main reason that kept me going was that i had an objective for learning it, I had a project I wanted to create and I think that is the most important catalyst for this and one of my main tips for anyone that is starting to learn.

It can be a bit daunting learning something on your own, and thinking about giving up isn’t that uncommon; it’s really those times when you need something to hold on and keep the grind,

I’ll keep my eyes on this post to see if I can help anyone (and be helped maybe)

Cheers

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to share my two satoshis on what helped me learn python rather quickly (improving and mastering takes a lifetime):
  1. For “semantics” (learning how to read the language and apply its basics) I used the SoloLearn app, Python course - great course to follow along in mobile. Comment section is great to clear some doubts and you also have a challenge mode where you go against other users and answer some python questions in a gamified way. DataCamp (app and desktop) also have some great resources for beginners in the data manipulation area of things
  2. For getting the hands dirty - Sentdex YouTube channel has a lot of great quality materials - I would go through several tutorials and rewriting the code myself and fiddling with some parameters.
Learning semantics by day (substituting my time in social media apps and other mind numbing activities for bite sized lessons on the app) and engaging into tutorials by night was a sure way of getting to learn the language rather quick.

But I think the main reason that kept me going was that i had an objective for learning it, I had a project I wanted to create and I think that is the most important catalyst for this and one of my main tips for anyone that is starting to learn.

It can be a bit daunting learning something on your own, and thinking about giving up isn’t that uncommon; it’s really those times when you need something to hold on and keep the grind,

I’ll keep my eyes on this post to see if I can help anyone (and be helped maybe)

Cheers
Solid advice - Sentdex especially is such a good resource for learning practical bit-sized chunks of Python at a time. Thanks for adding this here @satō

Entelechy

Stadivm Owner
Staff member
Reaction score

Cheers
Sentdex is a great resource for learning @satō - particularly that he provides tutorials on cryptocurrency and blockchain dev, but also areas like deep learning and bot building as well. nice recommendation

ajit.j

Neophyte
Reaction score
Anyone can learn Python because it is a general-purpose, dynamic, high level, and interpreted programming language. It supports Object Oriented programming approach to develop mobile applications.

It is simple and easy to learn and provides lots of high-level data structures.

Last edited: